Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Do we want a female president??

I have been following this presidential election more than I ever followed any election. The last election, it was a given that Bush would be back in…everyone, including me, complained after. I, like my sis, Wenderina, anxious moments, have not voted in the pass and not sure if I can vote this time – working in CA with residency in NY.

For some reason I am watching this campaign – it’s interesting and kind of un-predictable. I worry that having H.C. in office really means her husband is running the office for 4 more years – which really would not be a bad thing – we had peace with other countries; education system had a boost…a real boost – not some lame patch work with a label “No Child Left Behind” – that is the worst excuse for education assistance I have ever heard and experienced!

Then I look at our other options: an African American with a strange name - who is suppose to be Muslim. Now I don’t have anything against other religions, but this religion seems to promote terrorism. And that in-it-self scares the hell out of me! He is being “well” endorsed – but why doesn’t he have better results in these pre-election voting? And why are other African American so split on there supporting? A very good friend of mine – my age, who is African American, says no way to him. She says the young people who are voting for him are not listening, they just see his skin.

On the other side of the table – MC seems too old and MR is too quiet. I heard H.C.

talk about gas taxes, environment, education, health issues but can she pull off what she promises? and why is her husband campaigning for her?

And why does she (and everyone else) have to “sling mud”?

Although this campaign does seem to be far less negative – I still wonder…what will this world be like the next four years? Like I said, I am not politically inclined – but I do live in this world and have a very precious bundle growing up – my grandson who will have to deal with what we are doing to this world!



1 comment:

Wenderina said...

Jude Jude Jude.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I'm going to battle with you - my lovely sister - for some of these comments.

1. Muslim does NOT equal terrorism. The true intent of Islam is one of the MOST peaceful faiths in the world. Unfortunately, the regions of the world where the faith is concentrated has so many other issues that religion has gotten all tied up in politics, government, and war. But Christian wars have taken WAY MORE LIVES over the ages than Muslim Wars.

2. It's a wasted point anyway, because Barack Obama is a Christian not a Muslim.

3. I think that Hillary would definitely stand on her own two feet. She is a woman who has put public service above just about everything - including dignity in her marriage - and has survived. She's tough. She's powerful. She's a little power hungry. I doubt Bill will hold much sway on her. Rather, I think the presidency would be similar to when Bill was in office only that he would have some major role (like she did during his) to play, but separate from the presidency.

All this being said, keep thinking! keep reading! keep debating! And get an absentee mail in ballot for NY so you can vote!

Love you!